Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Depreciation Account Debit...

So what’s with me and the concept of depreciation of confidence? I believe that confidence, like any other real asset depreciates due to daily wear and tear. Clarification: I guess this happens to only a certain set of privileged beings. At least that’s what I shall choose to believe for now and for the next couple of minutes which I shall spend writing this post.

When I leave my confidence proudly hanging by my shoulder every morning, little do I realize how it gets badly worn out by things I seldom choose to ignore.

Lately, I have realized that I have this.. what do you say… innate tendency, or should I say ability, to allow myself to be bullied around. Wow. I mean that’s a marvelous skill to flaunt, aint it. So if there’s someone with an exactly opposite natural trait (that of being the most famous chest-thumping bully of whatever scummy corner of the Earth they belong to), I bow my head in absolute equanimity and spread my self esteem as if it were a red carpet to allow them to tango on that LEFT RIGHT AND CENTRE.

Note this now. There are some who would sternly turn down such attempts with a politle F.O. This happens with me and my ilk as well. Only, by the time we realize we could have said so and so to him/her, the little Chengez Khan within us would have done a tutu act and transformed into the second molecule of oxygen. By then, the verbal attack would have sung its last opera and we would be left standing all hollow and lousy.


The bullying here is not one of those go-get-me-a-paper-napkin categories. What I am talking about may be as simple as you-better-shut-up-because-I'm-talking-and-I’m-smarter-than-you or a look-I-am-your-self-acclaimed-God- Father/Mother/Sister/whoever-so-you-better-listen-to-me kinds of bullying. Guess who’s giving them the liberty to act smarter and allowing them to be self acclaimed God Fathers/ Mothers/Sisters/whoever. Can't be me... Or is it?

On days I feel I could snap back in equal squalor and jump the imaginary line of that rather unnecessary humility, I leave for my office with a sword in my hand, ready to battle anyone who dares me, Ghajhini style. But one sentence with a possible hint of negativity, and there… all the valor that I would have mustered with great labor throughout the previous night, would return to whichever page of history it came from, with a burnt hole in its belly. Then I wear one of those hey-I-have-a-Santa-stuck-in-my-teeth kinds of smile and forget everything to the glory of the Goddess of Tropical Rainforests of Africa. Now that’s what’s called coming back to the pavilion.

“You see”, I tell myself, “You can take the Rathod out of Ranjhore.. But you cannot take the Ranjhore out of the Rathod.”

…with a different application, of course…

But every story should have a happy ending. A ray of hope… Right?

Some day, I’ll get them….

Some day, the Goddess of Tropical Rainforests of Africa shall help me overthrow the world of bullies and rise above their superficially ballooning ego.

And I quote myself “There are no saints here. And you obviously do not want to be one…”

Wow. God Bless my grit.


The Deep Fried Crab

15 comments:

AakASH!!! said...

Deep Fried Crab: yum yum yum.

Anyhow, aisa bahut baar hota hai yaar. You are not alone in this.

May the goddess from whereever she was find you here in this separated continent.

AshenGlow said...

Tere Yum ki toh aisi ki taisi! :)

And yeah i know im not the only one.. But i feel so cornered at times that the it's hard to see the wide expanse full my ilk...

As for the Goddess wish.. Yeah me wishes so too... Amen!

P.S: Happy to read your posts.. Breathing you are alright.. Thank God.

The Sage said...

"an exactly opposite natural trait (that of being the most famous chest-thumping bully of whatever scummy corner of the Earth they belong to)" reminds me of myself... very much... :P
i think we should meet up one of these days...

AshenGlow said...

Eh?
Yikes!
And which side of the table are you, Mar?
Tell me..my side..
I cant picture you as a self proclaimed chest thumping bully.. No No NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Gaurav Jha said...

This has to be one of your funniest posts. Though I'm not sure if you meant it to be. :)

I'm sure one day the Rathod inside you will come out in all it's glory. God save the bullies then. :) I can't even begin to imagone you with a sword in hand and riding on horseback chasing someone.

About your comment on my blog, thanks. Glad to know you like the way I write. I guess, separation is as much a part of our lives, as is getting together. That said, all I can say is, This Too Shall Pass. :) you're right. What goes arund comes around. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come back around to me.

Cheers...

What's In A Name ? said...

You seem to be suffering from the famous Meg-Ryan-in-You've-Got-Mail Syndrome!

Remedy - Be rude! Surprise yourself! Explore!

AshenGlow said...

@Gaurav: :D Yeah its meant to be funny.. If i start taking all these things o my heart all the time, i've had it.
LoL at chasing the bullies on a horseback.. Not at all a bad idea!
Full review article for the papers next day assigned to you ok?

@What's in a name: :) and then take the responsibility of saying rude things to people.. *Shiver* *Shiver*....
Meg-Ryan-Syndrome it is!!

skullz said...

Every dog has its day and do u remember how they used to call Hewitt a mosquito untill he won the AUS Open.. Well, when you shine the world falls at your feet :) Remind yourself of your grit and Justine Henin's indominatble spirit :) .. its a constant process you might just freeze a couple of times finding yourself all meaky again but then nudge yourself .. Get back on track :)

AshenGlow said...

@Skullz: Gee thanks buddy! Now dont i wish i could get all that pep talk when i need it the most?
Heh.. Thanks for dropping by!

Ire said...

If there are no saints here then why are you being or even pretending to be one ha? Ek baar chalta hai agar woh tumhe bully kare. If you can write witty stuff then I am sure you can wittily snub them!

Do it! Lolz. And thanks for stopping by!

AshenGlow said...

@Nikki: Hi there! Who's pretending here anyway? Am trying my best not to act a saint, seriously.
AND the next time someone acts smart, they get a witty snub from me i swear! :)

Thanks for dropping by re..

Anonymous said...

hey come on.. some day is today.
gear up.. trust me when they see you coming they make a run for the hills.... been there and done that and made myself look good.
if they think you are that stone that needs to be kicked around.. you gotta stand firm, turn and give a kick right back!

AshenGlow said...

:) Oh Wow... That sounds like fun. And i guess it'll get better with practise... Hehehe...
Thanks!

Benaam Badnaam said...

evidently u havent seen or if u have not cared to understand the movie...anger management

take care
aufwiederzehn

AshenGlow said...

@Mystique Wanderer: Mm hmm? If there is a movie like that, yeah iv not seen it. But for someone who gets bullied easily, anger management would not be the exact remedy. Or is it? It could perhaps be managing the temperaments of such bullies.. Which im anyways abysmal at.. Sigh!
Anyway, so nice of you to have dropped by! :) Thanks!