
It could have been a happy Sunday with the winds on the beach ruffling his hair. It could have been a time off from studies and an evening stroll with Vinu. It could have very well been one of those days when his culinary escapades made MJ laugh as if there were no tomorrow. It could have. But it wasn’t.
At least an hour had passed, standing in the queue. “Three more to go...” He took a mental note. He craned his neck to watch what was going on behind the gate. It was the exit gate of the building. A few men squatted outside the building, on the floor, some eating with both their hands. There was a lot of food remaining from last night’s party. May be someone got married… a bachelor’s party, maybe… or someone’s birthday. It dint really matter to him, did it? He was standing amidst laborers, beggars, rickshaw pullers and street urchins. Amongst them, he was just another beggar... just another hungry man waiting to get his hands on some good ‘restaurant food’. His stomach rumbled as he smelt the aroma of soya sauce. Noodles... He smirked at himself.
“Chinese? Oh come on Vinu! I’d rather chew marbles and polythene for the rest of my life!”
“Angad, you better stuff that napkin into your mouth and shut up. MJ loves Chinese and I am hungry enough to eat a Tyrannosaurus Rex! Majority wins, understand?”
He read the sticker on the open white plastic cans that lay amongst the pile of rotting vegetable peels on the roadside. ‘The Crazy Cuisine Restaurant’.
It takes a lot of mental conviction to gormandize on someone’s left over food. But today, he simply wanted to.
It had been almost eight months since he had left his home for good. And there had not been one day he dint wish that it was all just a nightmare and that he would get up the next morning, laughing at himself. Everyday, without fail, he played that day in his mind like a record... again and again and yet again, fancying one moment, one last glance by Anju Di into his room, maybe just one phone call from his Ma in Ahmedabad that would have stopped him from taking that damned decision. He was so sure, now, that he would have stayed back. He was so sure that it would have rekindled the urge within him to live a decent life, sans the deadly addiction that he had sold his soul to. Why did he feel then that it was too late to confess? Why did he feel that there was no way out of it? Rehabs could have helped. A simple, honest effort would have helped. Di would have stood by his side.
A Honda Accord honked loudly and the people standing behind him in the queue pushed each other to remain off the road. The smell of dried perspiration, dust and rotten food remains nauseated him. Suddenly, the security guard opened the gate and he was crushed from all directions by the crowd trying to get inside in a mad frenzy. He ran inside and took his seat on the floor with the others. And when he least expected it, down came a merciless blow of a cudgel on his right thigh .
“Running for a medal or something, you bastard?” the guard hollered at him.
“Hey MJ! Running to catch the next moon to the train?”…. “Oh! Hahah!... I mean next train to the moon?”
His mind was still full of Vinu and MJ. Vinu had been his best friend since school days and they had met Manek Jaishanker in college. His Ma never liked MJ. “He always smells of cigarette”, she would say with a frown. But she would still prepare the best dishes when they were around, she would still give them ample money for their frequent outstation trips.
Ma... He still dint know how she would have coped with his act of cowardice. And it was still painful when he thought of Anju Di. In spite of all the trust, the love and the freedom they gave him, this is how he had repaid them. And as he had wandered through the streets weeks after that incident, with nothing to own but his uncherishable deeds, he had decided the penance for the crime he had committed. To live in penury till death.
He begged for bits that kept him alive to suffer the excruciation. At times he would deliberately starve himself for days. He would sleep on pavements with vagabonds and smoke with hippies in some unexploited corner of the city. He tortured his self esteem deliberately. He never tried to commit suicide. Not because he was afraid of death... committing suicide meant taking his life at one go. He wanted to kill himself a bit everyday... gnaw himself to death every second he breathed.
The pain still stung his thigh badly. He rubbed his palm on the muscle and inspected the plate in front of him. The noodles were stale but the curry with it made his mouth water. He mixed them up crazily and stuffed his mouth with a huge ball of the mixture. And then he cried.
Over the past eight months, a deadly cacophonic drivel within his mind had dried him of emotions. The hatred, the shame, the guilt, the failure, the love that he could never give, the love that now he may never ever get... everything... everything that had piled up in the dirty, cobwebbed corners of his mind, came out as huge droplets of warm salty tears that fell on his plate as he slouched further to prevent the food from spilling outside.
Then he let out a contemptuous laughter... and said to himself scornfully...
“Happy Birthday Angad Minocha…”
***********************************************************************************
"If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke."
- Gregory David Roberts,
Shantaram
21 comments:
Very touchy indeed...I like the way that you weave the past memories with the present in your stories...
I agree how people who take to drug addiction go through..and they need real courage & charachter from their whole family and friends circle to pull them back into Normal life....its time we realize that they are born bad but circumstances and events make them or trap into this evil...they deserve a very happy life like us:)
nicely done. i guess im a person for details and long stories, so most of ur short write-ups leave me wanting more. nevertheless, well etched character and memories. as a writer, i often delve into my personal feelings and experiences when i write fiction. but with u i see how effortlessly u write abt stuff unknown.. that calls for real imgination. and to get it right is most difficult... and u do it everytime. one wd not believe u have not experienced it urself, to have written it so well... keep up teh grt work.
@NSG: Thanks buddy... I really wanted to write Angads situation and the feeling of repentance in more detail. But this is all i could work on given the time at hand and space issues on the blogger... :)
Thanks for dropping by...
@Adi: Hehe.. i expected that from you. Nevertheless..thanks a tonne for the compliment re. And i thought you too were working on a story.. whatever happened to that?
naah, it just dint work out to what i had imagined it to be, so i deleted it. maybe some other story, some other time, whenever inspiration comes..
you are genius and i mean it ...the way u narrate just mesmerize m e
but will there be more sequel coming up regarding this story
will wait for more coz good fiction are always less to read
take care
you are blog rolled :)
@Adi: Of course of course! Me waiting eagerly!!
@Sayani: Oh :) Am glad you like the way i write... Thanks so much.. Theres no sequel to this story re.. Its supposed to end in this way. I just wanted to portray the mind set of the protagonist Angad on a particular occasion and i did that.. :)
Thanks for dropping by!!!
sad sad.. :(
grief seems so beautiful, when wrapped in appropriate words, no?
loved your story. but why did he walk away? i guess people still find it very difficult to say sorry...
@rain girl: :) Maybe.. or may be its too difficult, when one's in sorrow and confusion, to clear the haze and realise that the phase is not infinite... And that it is not actually a haze but a maze and there IS certainly a way out of it. And to them, it seems that the only way of averting all this by running away. Little do they realise that if they start running, they'll be running throughout their lives...
Silly.... if only life looked as simple as it actually is... :)
Thanks for dropping by dear...
I love the simplicity of your words, especially because by virtue of being so simple, they become self explanatory and your stories collide hard against the defensive walls around emotions, crumbling them and setting expressions free..
I see we have our next published author-in-waiting. well written.
Beautiful in its every aspect. Or I may have to redefine the word or search for other adjectives. Its like your words have claws and once I started reading..it held me. And I couldn't do anything but read it. Although till the end I was wondering what made me like your writing so much. I couldn't figure it out until I read the quote from Shnataram. So very apt. And I guess I have the reason :)
Thanks for writing. lol My blogroll is kind of low on fuel. I guess your blog will help my blogroll. You're going straight there.
Cheers!!
dark photo! nice!
Ummm, i got lost in here. It was so dark.
Itna jyaada sombre likha hai, ki story hi heaviness mein kho jaati hai!
Very well written.
*bows*
Scribblers Inc.
P.S.-And honestly I dont do that often. You,my friend, have humbled me...
A-MAZING!!! Great work here, ashen... You have found yourself one more fan....
@beauty and the beast: Thanks so much for those flattering words, dear... And thanks so much for dropping by yet again!
@Whats in a name: Aw MGod!.. :) LoL! Thanks dude...
@Comfortably Numb: Oh! Thanks a tonne for blogrolling me... As for Shantaram... i amnt kinda over with it yet, but iv fallen in lauv with the very way its been written... nothing less than wonderful... Thanks again for dropping by!
@red soul: Thanks.. my pleasure that you liked the pic...
@Aakash: Hehe.. tumse seedhe saadhe comments nahi likhe jaate na?.. Just kiddin.. thanks re... And thanks for coming for the function... :) It feels great to have your friends around on such occasions! ;)
@Scribblers inc: Oh! Im honoured.. Genuinely. Thank you so much :)
@marvin: Oh wow.. :) Shucks.. i feel like a star already.. Hehe .. Thanks so much for the encouragement, pal!
You know what's the beauty of words? They just give direction to your imagination and lets each one paint their own pictures..
If I was sitting in any place less public, I would have cried (yeah I am an emotional being)
and as I read, I kept thinking, I could tell Angad's ma where he was...
Then I realised I was reading fiction...
But I still wanted to help :O
:(
Great writing there!!
and if I come here once more and read this story one more time I am going to react once again and you will get sooo bored of me
So when do I read something new??!
@Beauty and the Beast: LoL! Thats so sweet of you..
yeah the beauty of the words IS that you get to repaint your imagination every time you read the same thing... :)Thanks!
As for something new... I just joined work today after a break.. shall update.. Soon enough!
Thnx fr your comment..I really appreciate the gesture.
Really like this post of yours..reflects aspects which are untouched. Im a new player here, but people like you and these posts of yours...and similar....inspire me to work more and learn more.....
so thanx...and kp posting...!
Nice work..once agai..:P
Post a Comment