I licked the raspberry ice candy, and ambled along the busy lanes of the Bazaar, gaping at the surroundings, absent mindedly. What I loved about this place was its smell. A few minutes of stroll here was nothing short of a nasal experience of thousands of smells that one could never find on the other side of the Bridge. Dust, burnt tobacco, spices, mustard oil smelling of fried tit-bits, new clothes, rubber, incense sticks, polished wood… It was a labyrinth of inexplicably blended aromas. And then there was the din of shouting traders, haggling customers, tingling bells of the rickshaws, dogs barking, motorists honking their vehicles… I dint realize how long I took to walk just a furlong.A couple of people were running towards me, someone was screaming for water. A usual street brawl. I knew I had to be careful and keep away from any uncivil activity but I also wanted to reach our shop quickly, so I kept walking. After a few minutes, I found the crowd thinning and the line of shops along the side of the lane becoming visible. It was highly suffocating to fight my way through rustic, smelly people who refused to budge. Eventually, when I felt it was easy to elbow some space and get out of the crowd, I pulled myself outside for a breath of fresh air. I inhaled with all my might to the extent my lungs could withhold. But the air no more smelt of the sundries of the Bazaar. Disturbed, I opened my eyes.
Demonic red flames ate away the colorful saris which were displayed outside the shops. Fire leapt up into the sky, reforming into sooty black fumes.
I saw Baba standing in front of one of the shops, looking aghast. There were tears in his eyes.
I froze… It was our shop.
I saw a group of men running around to help Choto Kaku and the workers put off the fire. I stood there, confused, not knowing whether to move or not. Hundreds of saris-cotton, nylon, silk, chiffon were ablaze, the fire transforming every design, every color, every texture, into black crumbled nothings. And with them, was ablaze, Baba’s life – his sweat and struggle for years, his dreams and aspirations. And with them were ablaze our happiness, our livelihood, our future.
I looked around myself. People were getting scalded in their attempts to douse the fire. There were too many people running helter-skelter. Some were standing a bit away, watching the whole drama. But my eyes kept on searching for a familiar face.
Where was Mili?
I walked towards Baba and took his hand. “Baba?” I asked. “Where’s Mili?” He dint say anything, just stared at the fire.
“Mili kothay, Baba?”
I could have been dreaming. But I had a dirty feeling that something was never going be alright ever. I sensed a lump in my throat. Fighting against the urge to cry, I called him again, “Baba?”
Tears rolled down his cheeks. And he hid his face in his hands. As if he wanted to see no more. As if he wanted to be seen no more.
“Vava!!” I pouted and began to cry.
“ Golu, amaar Mili…. Everything happened so quickly... I was… I wanted to…” He said, trying to breathe between his sobs. I looked towards our shop. I dint know what i was thinking then. My limbs felt extremely heavy and my brain was seemingly numb. All i knew was that somewhere amidst the blazing rows of saris, was my poor little Mili, helpless, horrified, screaming.
I ran towards Choto Kaku and grabbed his kurta. “Is someone going to get Mili out?”, I asked, barely able to speak amidst my sobs and hiccups that followed. “Is someone inside with her? Which floor is she on? Did you hear her scream?”
“Shondeep!!!” Kaku held my shoulders tightly and shook me. “We have been trying to put off the fire for a long time now. She is trapped inside with two other workers. Even if we get them out, I don’t think they would ever be the same." He exclaimed. "Golu…” He said slowly, “...It’s over.” His eyes were red and swollen and his hands, trembling. I guess he was also as scared as I was. My eyes were then on Baba. He was now sitting on the ground with his hand on his chest.
“I don’t believe you”, I said, tears dripping from my chin.
“Goluda, can you touch the ceiling of the bus?”
“Bhoy peyona, bhoy peyona tomae ami marbona..”
“Would I have to grow a moustache to travel alone in the bus?”
“shotti bolchi kusti kore tomar shathe parbo na…”
“You want to go to the bazaar all alone. I shall go and ask Baba. He loves me more than you!”
"...obhoye dichchi shuncho na je? dhorbo naki theng duto?..."
“Shondeep!! Come fast! We're getting late!”
“I don’t...” I whispered, as I helplessly watched the huge sign board of our shop and the extended ceiling crumble to dust.
Burrabazar was never the same after that.
**************************************************
P.S: Burrabazar is one of the oldest wholesale markets in India. It has been a trading hub since the British Era and continues to be a prime commercial node of Kolkata. Unfortunately, due to crumbling infrastructure, and blatant defiance of building safety norms, the bazaar is prone to major fire hazards. Till now, the area has witnessed umpteen outbreaks of fire which have destroyed thousands of shops and killed as many people. It is claimed that the Municipal Corporation has been trying to pull down unsafe buildings to avert any further tragedies. But thanks to bureaucracy and a lot many unexplained reasons, nothing material seems to have happened. Burrabazar is still waiting for a disaster to happen... Yet again.
The above story is purely a work of fiction… just an attempt to capture the feelings of one of the many unfortunate, who have lost their loved ones in the Burrabazar mishaps. Sadly, my protagonist is too young to realize that deaths and tragedies are too frequent a matter at a place he calls his favorite.
25 comments:
These days I'm actually scared of opening your new blogs, you know why, I don't wana feel insignificant anymore. I've already personally called you and explained the reasons, so i won't go public with it.
About Etched..wonderfully written. You managed to capture the right emotions, and followed through with the correct dialect. Great work crabby..kep it up.
N btw, there's always place at insideView for MBA's with little overa years experience. :)
Cheers
very well written... the way you described the fire, i could picture teh sarees... the dialogues running in golu's mind... i cd actually hear mili saying them...
its sad, what people have to suffer for govt ignorance and bureaucracy. there are many places in mumbai also, like burrabazar, which are in a state of depletion, and will end up in a fire or fall to teh ground unexpectedly, and there is nothing anyone WILL do to avoid it or save the people and their properties which get damaged in the process. its like an evil we have to live with, and everyday pray that it doesnt happen today.
Reads like a story by an insider through and through. Quite some research there, Ma'am. :)
@Gaurav: Aw.. Thanks yaa... And thanks for the regular ushers to write more and better at that.. :)
Sach me.. tere bina me kya karti.. Heh..
And let people in Inside View know they might be in for a surprise anytime.. thanks to my wonderful work life.. ;)
@Adi: Gee.. Thanks!! Thanks so much dear... Im flattered.. Really... ^_^
And you are correct. Govt is not the only one responsible dilapidated infrastructure. To some extent even the public is at fault. If people take a stronger stand, i guess life would be much better.. be it Mumbai or Kolkata.. Nai?
@What's in a name: Hehe.. Yeah.. Research and a lot of imagination. Its a place iv always wanted to visit, but never could... To the extent that i almost know how it would look and smell like... Some random cosmic connection i guess.. Heh.. or maybe just pure craziness.. Whatever! :) Thanks for dropping by, buddy!
quite visual, descriptive language..the first part was delightful.. the second saddens and is a mind-opener.
its quite difficult to write about a place without.. actually being there.. so thats remarkable..
Wow! That was so well crafted.
Kudos Crabby!
@aria: Aw.. Thanks dear.. :)
@Aakash: Mm hmm? Thanks buddy.. So is work or food, the reason why you seem to have done a disappearing act from the blogger?
Or is it because of, what they call in french, La-ziness? :)
ashen....what do I say!! :)
it always is the best feeling to come across a good story teller...the bong in it reminded me of ray...I wish I was adept at using bong in my posts...I have tried incorporating the culture in the story "Past" but that was it...
you glorify the language...
respect
Scribblers Inc.
P.S.-fatafati!!:D
Muselessness is uselessness.
@Scribbler's Inc: Aw MGod.. im too flattered to say anything.. Genuinely.. Thanks So Much!.. :)
@Aakash: And a man of few words he becomes... Shucks... I cant even imagine.. that's a tragedy!
P.S: Liked that line though... Heh
After reading the first part, this one was so totally unexpected
I sensed something looming, right there on the preiphery as I was reading part I, something dark..
But the second part, was beyond what I had ever imagined it could be
It has been a totally enrapturing read, happy and sad and totally moving..
@Beauty & the Beast: :) Thanks dear... I had read about the fire outbreak at Nandaram Market in Burrabazaar a couple of months back. Had thought of writing a bit about it.. just that it came out as a story instead.. Thanks again for dropping by... ^_^
Thanks a ton for your comments on the blog crabby. Though I'm not too sure bout how I write, but definitely not better than you. I try though. :)
Keep writing, and keep visiting. You have a talent, and I'm glad you're using it well.
What do i say....the ending was really brilliant...as i read it i felt a lump in my throat...
Keep writing...this is just the beginning..know you have the talent for many more..:)
Your true Pankha!!!
I really liked the way you described the scents of the bazar thats just so timeless and so very Indian
@Gaurav: :) Dear Mr. Jha... You have better writers to benchmark your writing to... Im an amateur and i accept that (with grace ;)... Heh)
And thank God i have friends like you who usher me to write more and learn more...
An overwhelmed crab :)
@NSG: Aw. thanks buddy.. that was really moving.. im glad i have a pankha like you!! ;)
@Zofo: Mm hmm? :) Thanks so much ya!
hey... wonderful piece... gripping and touching short story!
however, i small point... smhow i didnt like the mention of "bureaucracy" as one of the possible reasons for this sorry state of affairs in burrabazar... if we, the people ourselves are continuing to live/work under those conditions (for whtevr reasons) then no one else can do anything...
very nice read... thanks!
thats again a realistic blow dear...
Is it sukumar ray who foresighted it or its you who have put the verse so rightly i think both
gr8 one....
there something in your fiction and thats is called reality u hv managed to blend them so accurately ....amazing
keep up
@Crimson feet: :) Thanks buddy. Yeah. You are right. People do continue to work under very pathetic conditions in burrabazaar. Which is why i referred to bureaucracy caused due to government neglect as just one of the reasons. But yes, the bazar's poignant condition has been quite such for the past many decades and nothing has been
done about it yet. Nai?
The main reason i see behind this is that, being a part of the Calcutta North West Lok Sabha constituency, this area becomes an important vote bank for the candidates contesting for seats in the lok sabha. They would never do anything that may possibly upset the people here (who could be anyone - from simple labourers to rich and influential marwari businessmen) thereby reducing their chance in Indian politcs.
On the other hand, any move by the government to pull down dilapidated buildings is strongly dissented by the workers and shop owners of the area. That would be another nuance of the earlier mentioned bureaucracy.
But thanks to MBA, and my current occupation as a consultant, i would like to keep a grey area as 'many other unexplained reasons' for the series of mishaps in the bazar. Heh. ;)
Thanks for the comment. It really did give the topic a better perspective.
@Sayani: Hey thanks dear! I surely cant contest ray saab's creations re. But it really helped me build the story a better way. Yeah. :)
Thanks again for dropping by!
your story made me recall a quote i read long ago in a book:
"Tragedy never sleeps."
@rain girl: :) Thats a beautiful line, dear.. and apt too!
Thanks for dropping by!
your emotions are forever evolving.. making you inspire us for the better :)
@Seher: Aw.. flattered i am.. genuinely.. Thanks dear.. :)
Excellent creativity .. !! loved it thoroughly.. !!
@skullz: Thanks so much buddy.. My pleasure!
Post a Comment