Saturday, September 8, 2007

Zimbly Bong...

No, I’m not a Bong. And NO I am not getting paid to write good things about the roshogulla loving clan. But there is something intriguingly fascinating, and fascinatingly intriguing about the Bengali culture (that play of words was just to make the sentence sound intelligent, nevertheless, I hope you get the point). I find myself smitten by anything remotely Bengali- the language of course, the rituals, and the inexplicable tendency of bonding between the Bong Brethren... yeah yeah... Bhadralog.


I would certainly not underestimate the beauty of Bangla by calling it a ‘cute’ language. Yes, sweet it is, for, there is something in it that makes the person speaking it, sound extremely mellifluous (in spite of Bappi Da). Maybe that’s why Bengal boasts of so many singers it has gifted Mother India.

I unconsciously hunt for information- about Bangla films, film makers, songs, singers, places, history of such places, Bengali folklores, food (Of course!), books, writers, rituals, people... Uhm... Basically, everything. I even visited Flicker to relish the snaps of the place I have always wanted to visit.

Why all this? I have absolutely no idea. I don’t see any logic for my unfathomable affinity towards anything and everything simply Bong. I don’t speak the language, I have never traveled beyond Noida towards the east (make that Greater Noida... im not that bad ok!), am a hard core vegetarian (bhaat and maach jhol... wow! The smell’s enough to konk me out!). But yes I sing, and to be precise, the music I have learnt has been a healthy mixture of mallu, tamil, telugu (Carnatic, basically) in Indian music and a little bit of Western. But still this doesn’t explain my penchant towards Bangla literature, its places and history etc. Maybe its just the kalakar within me who wants to learn more about the place which has so much to offer to Kala per se. (I take the liberty to royally call myself a kalakar.... how else do you think MBAs like me earn their living after the 2 yr grind?)

For all I know, this could just be a short lived infatuation, but I’d like to believe otherwise. I’d like to believe that there is some cosmic connection... and relish the magic till it wears away.

“Ami Bangla boojhte paari na”...

2 comments:

Sunand said...

You should try traveling further east and see what West Bengal has really to offer you…
Who knows? Probably from the day you step in, your mind slowly starts unveiling the “cosmic connection”!! hehehe!

AshenGlow said...

@sunand: i know... my work involves travelling you know... i am waiting to pounce on any opportunity coming my way... lets see..
in spite of extremely bad reviews about the place thanks to my dear frinds, my love for the place seems to be stubborn... doesnt wear off...heh..